Friday, December 19, 2008

Turn off the TV and Get out the broom for 2009…

As I watch the news every day on multiple national and international channels, the economy dominates all the stories. Doom and gloom! If I didn’t know better, I’d say that the media was trying to panic everyone.

And then I think about the Great Depression. The Great Depression was caused by panic.

We need to keep cool heads. We need to turn the televisions off, take a deep breath and get on with the business of business. If we let the messages of doom and gloom spook us and keep us from planning, doing and moving on, then we just might see another Great Depression. But if we keep on marching, and do a little common sense planning, we can get the economy back on track.

I’ve seen a few economic downturns and been laid off a few times.
I guess that’s telling my age. One thing that mystifies me is how companies immediately cut the marketing budget when the economy stumbles. That’s short sighted! If we keep on advertising in bad times, when the good times come we’ll be ahead of our competition by a long shot. Historically, it's a proven fact.

We don’t have to indulge in conspicuous consumption to have a good life and a good economy.
We need to sweep out the greed and do what makes sense. The object of the game is to make our companies viable for the long term, to make a fair profit and to provide jobs for people. And that means long term planning and not the short sighted daily or quarterly bottom line psychosis and panic over the latest economic news. So don’t cut your marketing. And do think about keeping your name out in front of people.

I’m turning off the television news and starting to positively plan my strategies for 2009.
It’s going to be a great year!

I hope you will join me as I Blog my way through 2009. Carmen and I are also looking for Guest Bloggers and a Blog of the Month. Got a great Blog… let us know.

Season’s Greetings! Merry Christmas! Happy Chanukah! Fruitful Kwanza! And a happy, safe and profitable 2009!

Pat

1 comment:

  1. Plus we're looking for new business! Visit our web presence - www.imagerymarketing.com! ~c.

    ReplyDelete